From Berkley, Michigan, USA:

I have a BMI [Body Mass Index] of 37, we have a family history of type 2 diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes. While my almost three year old son is normal for height and weight, his BMI is under the fifth percentile for his age Additionally he was induced four weeks prematurely. He was breast fed for the first two years of his life and now has milk allergies, so he eats a lot of soy instead. He will not eat normal food or meat and will only eat things like peanut butter and jelly, soy yogurt, soy milk, juice, toast, soy cheese, french fries. He is a really picky eater, and is generally not very hungry. He was severely anemic when he was nine months old, but is fine now. Do you think he could have something going on with diabetes? Is he just small, and picky about foods?

Leave your son alone. Don't force foods, just let him eat and maybe he won't grow up to become overweight. Any pushing seems silly. Here in America, starvation is not the issue.

[Editor's comment: See Symptoms of Diabetes for more information. WWQ]