Question:

From Beaufort, South Carolina, USA:

I am a 49 year old woman with type 2 diabetes who takes Starlix if I know I am going to eat a lot of carb, but my three-hour postprandial blood sugar seems to be higher than my two-hour post-prandial blood sugar. What would cause my three-hour postprandial blood sugar to be higher than my two-hour postprandial blood sugar?

Answer:

As I see it, there are three possibilities:

1. The Starlix [nateglinide] has worn off.
  2. Sometimes there is a late absorption of carbs with a high carb or complex carb meal, and you may be seeing the second phase of absorption.
  3. You may have some delay in absorption from your stomach with a delay in emptying. This is caused by some damage to the nerves in the stomach.
Please discuss this with your physician.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2