From Berkley, Michigan, USA:

I am 26 years old, one-quarter Native American, I have a family history of type 2 diabetes, a BMI [body mass index] of 37, and I developed borderline hypoglycemia when I was 18 years old. I am now taking Meridia. Is this safe for people with diabetes?

Meridia is one of two medications approved for long-term management of obesity. It has been used to induce weight loss in patients with type 2 diabetes who are obese and seems to be able to improve blood sugar control. The side effects can be issues for patients with type 2 diabetes, especially the hypertension.

Long-term experience is as good as anything for this problem. The big issue is whether Meridia, or any other medical obesity therapy, can induce a long-term weight loss. Maintenance of beneficial effects on diabetes are tied to the ability of Meridia to prevent weight gain and keep off the weight initially lost.

Posted to Other Medications and Weight and Weight Loss