Question:

From Norris, Tennessee, USA:

My 11 year old granddaughter, who is thin and athletic, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week, but everything seems geared to type 1. There is a strong family history of type 2, and a cousin with type 1. Her sugars are ranging from 54-224 mg/dl [3-12.4 mmol/L], and it will be a while before the endocrinologist can see her. The dietitian said her diet is good and had no real suggestions for us. Could you tell me a source for finding out information about children with type 2 diabetes? Would a high protein, low carb diet calm her extremes? A friend of mine, a doctor, suggested a low glycemic index diet.

Answer:

I would ask that you seek a referral to a pediatrician or better yet, a pediatric endocrinologist as soon as possible. If she can't be seen, then please ask that her doctor contact/call a pediatric endocrinologist at the nearest medical center (this may be a the University Medical Center or Children's Hospital) -- your granddaughter's doctor ought to be able to find the correct person.

It is not inconceivable that your 11 year old, thin, active granddaughter has type 2 diabetes, but unfortunately, this is not as likely. She more probably has type 1 diabetes and if so, she needs to be placed on insulin. Oral hypoglycemic agents or diet alone may control the blood glucose in the very short term, but it is quite dangerous; she could progress to life-threatening DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis].

Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young is rare, and your description of her does not lead me believe that is the most likely diagnosis. Given the family history of diabetes, especially the cousin who has a type 1, she needs to have the appropriate consultation soon.

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]