Question:

From Royal Oak, Maryland, USA:

For the past two years, my 14 year old old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10 months, has not been taking very good care of her basic diabetes needs (eating without taking insulin, not doing blood tests), and it is almost as if she were trying to forget about having diabetes. In the last eight to nine months, I have discovered she has begun to self-mutilate (large scratches on her arms). She says she does this because it makes her feel in control. Is there a possibility that she feels she needs to do this in part due to the fact that diabetes is such a controlling disease?

I want to get her into counselling, but I want to make sure I take her to the right type of counsellor. Do you think I am on track about this? Is there any correlation between diabetes and self-mutilation?

Answer:

Your daughter desperately needs help, and urgently! It is very rare for someone to self-mutilate, and although it is possible that diabetes plays some role in your daughter's struggles, it is probably not the only issue for her. Please call your daughter's pediatrician, and/or your diabetes team to get a referral to a facility that offers intensive psychological services. One hour, once a week treatment will probably not be enough to help your daughter. Please call today and get her into treatment immediately.

JWB

Posted to Behavior