From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I am a 38 year old flight attendant who has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and my problem is I am unable to eat regularly scheduled meals. What are some things I can carry with me on trips, that need no refrigeration, that I can eat or snack on to keep me from having highs and lows because of sporadic meals?

I assume you are not on insulin. Several crackers or crackers with cheese or a couple of animal crackers seem to be easy to carry and use. The little packets of these crackers seem to work well. You might want to check with your dietitian for other ideas.

Additional comments from James Michael Schurig, RD, LD, CDE:

I would recommend such portable and non-perishable snacks as cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, dried fruit, trail mix, pretzels, bagged popcorn,wheat crackers, dry roasted peanuts, cereal bars, bagged prepared baby carrots and peanut butter, etc. These typically have a good combination of carbohydrate and protein that will sustain blood sugars and prevent hypoglycemia.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet