From Oxford, Michigan, USA:

I am 13 years old, and while I do not have diabetes, for the past week I have been urinating frequently, have lost 13 pounds, and I'm hungry and thirsty. I have to go at least twice in an hour, and at night I wake up one to three times to use the bathroom. II drink over three times as much water as I used to (around 30 glasses a day), and I cannot seem to keep food up. I have a family history of typeá2 diabetes, but no typeá1, and since I am not overweight, I do not understand how I could get type 2. My mother dismissed my idea, saying I was being dramatic because I have been sick for the past month with the flu and colds so she says it's just the flu. Should I be more persistent? Should I ask to be tested for diabetes?

Fortunately, most folks with your symptoms do not have diabetes. Regardless, your symptoms are very suggestive of diabetes, and I think you should be checked. At age 13, you should feel comfortable in calling your family doctor and relaying your concerns and symptoms.

My guess is that she/he would agree that testing your blood glucose and urine would be very inexpensive and very informative. They likely will be very willing to call your parent(s) and arrange for a quick visit to do the testing. Increased thirst, increased urination, and weight loss are rather classic symptoms of diabetes mellitus so this should be screened for without delay!