From Owings Mills, Maryland, USA:

My husband, diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes 15 months ago, is using an insulin pump with carbohydrate counting and is in excellent control with no problems, but when we visited his family, his mother seemed to be concerned that he is taking too much insulin because he took insulin to cover cake, pie, etc. I have already explained that eating sweets are okay, but now she she has heard that it is not good for you to take too much insulin and seems to think the additional amount of insulin required to cover sweets is going to amount to too much. What is you opinion of taking extra insulin to cover sweets?

Unfortunately, this is another example of well meaning but uninformed mothers-in-law. Just don't tell her, "I told you so." That's the beauty of the insulin pump and carbohydrate counting.

The issue she heard of related to typeá2 diabetes and insulin resistance. Very obese and insulin resistant people require huge doses of insulin which may not be in their best interest.