Question:

From Brisbane, Queensland, Australia:

I am 21 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for four years, and I have trouble controlling my blood sugar levels, having twice been admitted to ICU for ketoacidosis. I have a good diet and all the rest but need help. At the moment, I take NovoRapid before each meal and Protaphane once at 9:00 pm. Could a pump help to regulate my blood sugar levels better?

Answer:

Insulin pumps are very effective tools for improving blood sugar control. However, this is an issue where you need to find local diabetes providers and a diabetes education team. Through your local team, you can contact the various pump manufacturers which also have websites.

However, what I finds work best is to make sure you are up to speed on your diabetes self-care skills. These need to be mastered before you take on the added responsibility of operating the insulin pump. It is not an intelligence issue. Most people can be trained to operate the pump. That is why you need to hear from your local provider about your current status of care skills. If okay, you can be introduced to pump therapy with the highest expectations. Overall, pump therapy offers the most flexibility of any regimen. It also requires the most time to insure it works.

[Editor's comment: See Is pumping for you? and Insulin Pump Therapy. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps