From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I am a 33 year old with type 1 diabetes who has been on a pump for three months, and my problem is that I get burned out with my diabetes. I know how important it is to take care of myself, but at times I feel I need a break and can't seem to make myself take care of my diabetes. What can I do?

Feeling burned out by your diabetes is normal and expected. You are very fortunate, in that you recognize it. Do you live with anyone that can take over some of the diabetes care tasks when you feel burned out? Is there someone on your diabetes team that you can talk to about your feelings, and who can help you develop some strategies to use when diabetes becomes overwhelming? You may really enjoy reading the book Diabetes Burnout by William Polonsky. It offers practical advice on how to manage this very common issue.

Posted to Behavior