From Lehighton, Pennsylvania, USA:

My six year old is now on about five insulin injections a day using the B-D pen mini, which she says doesn't hurt, but she's getting "tough" skin with it. I have asked her endocrinologist about the Insuflon catheter but he recommends a jet injector, and I have heard jet injectors aren't always accurate. What do you recommend?

I don't recommend injectors or catheters. It's hard to believe that you are getting tough skin if technique is done properly so you may want to really review this in detail with your diabetes team -- especially with the educator, if one is available. Overuse of same sites can certainly cause lipohypertrophy, and some people are more prone to this than others. Usually this can be minimized by appropriate rotation and staying away from identical sites. You can also get more information from the manufacturer's websites regarding the injectors and the catheters.

[Editor's comment: See Jet Injectors and Insuflon catheter. SS]