Question:

From Trenton, New Jersey, USA:

My three year old son and has had a lot of medical problems since birth, and after almost four years and 13 admissions, it would be nice to finally have some answers He goes to a preschool for children with developmental delays, and the school notified me that his urine is bright yellow, that he is drinking excessively, and that he is squinting his eyes when coloring or trying to read a story. When he was three years old, he was seen by an ophthalmologist who diagnosed astigmatism, and two weeks ago he had a low blood glucose level (done in a lab), after which he developed a virus. Then we waited two weeks and took him for a repeat test, which was within the normal range. He has always had to drink a lot because when he starts to get dehydrated, he gets crystals in his urine (which have led to kidney stones in the past). What can I do to find out what is wrong with my son? Can diabetes be an issue here?

Answer:

This does not sound like diabetes from your brief description of many different complications. I would go back to your doctors and ask these specific questions to them so that you know what was tested, why it was tested and make sure that the test results are indeed normal now. When he was ill, there can be many different abnormalities of course, and occasionally some blood glucose abnormalities during the illness. Sequential followup with medical team who knows your son and can help sort things out is the key.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Other causes of hypoglycemia at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]