From Birmingham, Alabama USA:

I am a 27 year old female, and my husband and I are getting ready to try starting a family. My A1cs are running 7-8%. What does my A1c level need to be at or around? Can you give me a little more insight?

You should do your best to get your hemoglobin A1c into the normal range. A hemoglobin A1c of 8% is elevated; around 6% is more acceptable, but the actual normal range varies somewhat from laboratory to laboratory so you should check with your doctor about what the reference values are in your area. You should discuss with your doctor that you are considering getting pregnant.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Family Planning