Question:

From North Hills, California, USA:

My three and a half year old granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two and a half months ago, and her sugar levels have been running in 400s [mg/dl, 22.2 mmol/L]. What are the long term effects of her high blood sugar?

Answer:

Long term chronic complications of diabetes are strongly linked to blood sugar control (which is best judged by a hemoglobin A1c test). If it is not acceptable, it should be decreased in order to assure her normal pubertal development and a normal life without chronic complications.

I suggest that you have your granddaughter's parents contact the closest pediatric diabetes team for evaluation and follow-up, if she isn't followed by one. If she is, her parents need to be in daily communication with their team until control is improved.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA