From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I recently read that girls who start puberty at a very early ago are at risk for health problem, but it didn't mention what type of problems. Is there a link between starting menstruation at nine years of age and developing diabetes later in life?

I am not aware of any association with diabetes, but onset of menstruation at age less than 10 is associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer. This does not mean that one will get cancer or that an immediate screen is indicated. You may want to discuss this further with your gynecologist.