Question:

From Chandigarh, India:

My 11 year old only son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago and treated with pre-mixed insulin, has more or less with an acceptable range of blood sugars, but he has a general feeling of hunger throughout the day. His dietitian has recommended an 2100 calorie intake per day, and he is not at all satisfied with this. I would like to add here that he regained the four kilograms he lost within one month after diagnosis. Can we increase his intake of food as long as his blood sugar level and weight remain controlled?

Answer:

Yes, you can do this easily. Remember, your son is still in the honeymoon so be sure to monitor carefully.

DTQ-20020305000907A