Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

I am a 51 year old male diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 months ago, and since then I've lost 83 pounds, and my fasting sugar is normal, but now I'm finding my levels after eating are around 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. However, after I do my 35 to 40 minutes of walking, my level drops to 74 mg/dl [4.1 mmol/L], then an hour later it goes back up to 104 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. Is this normal?

Answer:

Congratulations to you on your tremendous results! Your impressive weight loss efforts have resulted in dramatic improvements in your blood sugars. Your fasting and postprandial numbers, and your blood sugar response to exercise, all indicate excellent control.

The decrease that you are observing immediately after your exercise routine, and the eventual return to slightly higher although still normal blood sugars are the appropriate physiologic response. Your body is working as it should to balance your blood sugars during and after exercise. You don't say whether you currently take diabetes medications. If so, it is important to remember that insulin and the class of oral medications called sulfonylureas may increase your risk for hypoglycemia.

Your attention to diet and exercise has made a tremendous difference in your health status. Keep up the great work!

DMW

Posted to Exercise and Sports