Question:

From Rome, Italy:

My 12 year old daughter, who is using Lantus with NovoRapid, has a very high blood sugar (230-280 mg/dl [12.8-15.6 mmol/L]) each morning and often at 3:00 am, but the rest of the day she is doing well so I'm afraid of the risk of hypoglycemia if I raise her Lantus. How can control the dawn phenomenon without risking hypoglycemia the rest of the day?

Answer:

First of all, is your daughter injecting Lantus (insulin glargine) at dinnertime or at bedtime? Giving it at bedtime can make a difference in terms of controlling the dawn phenomenon a little bit better with very little risk of low blood sugar. However, I'd rather you work harder on the NovoRapid dosages during the day.

Last but not least, have you ever thought about an insulin pump. These newer devices are a very promising therapeutical approach for adolescents with diabetes.