From Prince George, Virginia, USA:

My five son year old has type 1 diabetes, we live in a rural area, and the daycare will not attend to my child. They will not do anything besides call 911 if he falls ill -- no readings, no shots, nothing. The daycare claims it's because of insurance reasons. Is this legal?

Virginia law requires public schools to have personnel who are trained to administer insulin and glucagon. In my opinion, this law does not apply to privately run day care facilities.

For further assistance you might want to contact the American Diabetes Association National Office, at their 800 number: 1-800-DIABETES. They have staff who have extensive knowledge in this area.

Posted to School and Daycare