Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from April 2002

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. How critical is it is to focus on foot care for a 14 year old boy newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Where can we get info about purchasing proper shoes without inside seams that match the interests of a teenager who wants to be like all the other kids? (30 Apr 2002)

2. My son-in-law, who has become blind due to type 1 diabetes, needs financial help to support his family. His doctors won't file a "totally blind" statement, so they say he's not eligible for Social Security, and he can't apply for unemployment because he cannot actively seek work because he can't see to drive or do any kind of "normal" work. The family needs help. (30 Apr 2002)

3. I have had type 2 diabetes for six years, treated with pills, my blood sugars are high, I feel very weak and tired, and I am unable to maintain a day's work as I used to. Attempts to add other pills did not change the figures. What kind of medication and dose do you recommend for me? At which stage will I be better starting insulin? If at all, which kind or dosage ? (30 Apr 2002)

4. If I use Humalog and NPH, can I mix them in the same syringe without changing their action? (30 Apr 2002)

5. We have a family history of diabetes, I had gestational diabetes, and I never have had my 10 year old daughter checked for diabetes. Should I? (30 Apr 2002)

6. My son has been on the pump for 10 months, and his pediatric endocrinologist doesn't seem to be of much help as far as adjusting the rates. During the day, it's quite manageable, but at night, he's either too high or going low. What should we be doing? (30 Apr 2002)

7. I am 39, I have had type 2 diabetes for almost two years treated with diet and exercise, and I also have atypical Meniere's syndrome or autoimmune inner ear disease, which I am undergoing testing for. Since my ANA is positive, should I also be tested for antibodies to see if my diabetes is also autoimmune? (30 Apr 2002)

8. A year ago, my 14 year old niece was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and she is thin and athletic. I am worried if my niece's diagnosis is correct because I spoke to my daughter's endocrinologist who believes she was misdiagnosed. How can we find out for sure which type of diabetes she has? (30 Apr 2002)

9. My nine year old son, who has diabetes and is in excellent health has had a wart on the bottom of his foot for months. We were hoping it would go away because we are afraid of the treatments. What is our best course of action? I am even concerned about taking him to a specialist because of the risk that something might go wrong. Will it go away on its own? (30 Apr 2002)

10. My grandpa was recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and his physician has told him he needs to check his blood sugars three times each, record the results, and bring these results with him to a follow up appointment in a month. Do you have any suggestions of approaches I may use to convince or enable my grandpa to check and record his blood sugars? (30 Apr 2002)

11. When my son was recently hospitalized for dehydration with the flu, he had an elevated blood sugar, and they told us he had diabetes, but later his blood sugars were normal, and they said he didn't have it, even though he still had glucose and ketones in his urine. Should we be concerned that my son has diabetes? Was the high blood sugar due to his dehydration? (30 Apr 2002)

12. I am a 47 year old female originally diagnosed two and half years ago with type 2 diabetes, but reclassified to type 1 about a year and a half ago. I am experiencing a marked decrease in sensation during orgasm. Prior to developing diabetes, this was not an issue for me. Can diabetes cause sexual dysfunction in women? (30 Apr 2002)

13. I am a male who has had diabetes for about 24 years, and when younger, I was unable to have children which I assume was due to the diabetes. I'd like to know whether there are treatments to fix this. (29 Apr 2002)

14. I am a 19 year old female with diabetes, and I am wondering why my blood sugar is up about 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] every time I test it. What I can do to get it down to where it needs to be? (29 Apr 2002)

15. I write you as a 17 year plus spouse of a woman with type 1 diabetes who at times is very difficult to live with. The medical and health and diet issues are no problem. It is the mental, emotional and intimacy issues that seem to cause so many problems, and I feel one of us needs to get more educated on these topics. (29 Apr 2002)

16. I'm almost 18, I have had diabetes since I was eight, and for the past few months my finger tips get really dry and split open. Are these wounds something for me to worry about? Should I just use more hand cream on a regular basis? (29 Apr 2002)

17. I developed diabetes recently. I also am having ringing in my ears and loss of hearing. Is ringing in the ears with loss of hearing a symptom of diabetes? (29 Apr 2002)

18. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes because I had DKA at the time, but recently I had an elevated C-peptide so they rediagnosed me with type 2. I have been on insulin and am having a hard time losing weight. What should I be asking my doctor? Should I try the move to pills? (29 Apr 2002)

19. I suspect my five year old year old daughter may have a low blood sugar problem. What are the symptoms of low blood sugar in children? How do I help my daughter if she has it? (29 Apr 2002)

20. I'm 25 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for five months, and I'd like to know if it is okay to take birth control pills. It said in the leaflet that person who has diabetes should ask an opinion from a doctor. (29 Apr 2002)

21. My five year old daughter was diagnosed two and a half years ago and is on daily insulin injections, but I have heard there is a "pump" which is available for dispensing of insulin. Could you please tell me more information about this "pump"? Is it available in the UK? (29 Apr 2002)

22. During the last three months, my 12 year old daughter has displayed low blood sugar symptoms on two different occasions. After the last episode, we noticed that when she drank a coke, she seems to improve rapidly. What tests are available for this to check for hypoglycemia? Can we reasonably assume that we are on the right path? (29 Apr 2002)

23. Is there any thing like, or any kind of, sugar-free orange juice? (29 Apr 2002)

24. My five year old granddaughter has low blood sugar, and if she does not eat right after waking up, she has passed out and also has a terrible temper at times.. Most times she is a sweet child, but then she will become very uncontrollable. She is not on any medication at this time. Is this behavior due to her low blood sugar? How can we help her? (29 Apr 2002)

25. I am a 25 year old woman, I have type 1 diabetes, and I have been a honeymoon for four years. When I was 16, I had a viral form of encephalitis and developed diabetes. Could my diabetes be caused by the encephalitis? (29 Apr 2002)

26. My 11 year old daughter will be at the middle school next year, and her insulin schedule will be changing over the summer to Lantus with Humalog. How should she handle this at school? (26 Apr 2002)

27. I am 15, and whenever I exercise my blood sugar raises to about 300 mg/dl [16. 7 mmol/L], and I don't know why. (26 Apr 2002)

28. My sixteen month old daughter's palms are often reddened, itchy, and frequently it looks like there are hives. Our pediatric endocrinologist, diabetes educators, and I are stumped. Do you have any ideas? (26 Apr 2002)

29. I have type 1 diabetes, recently I was involved in a motor vehicle accident, and I was charged with reckless driving. The afternoon of the wreck, I was continually low. Would it be decidedly to my disadvantage to inform the judge of this? Do first time offenders who had hypoglycemia get their license pulled (like I've heard)? (26 Apr 2002)

30. Along with the Glucophage XR and Actos my husband is already taking, yesterday his doctor added Glucotrol. Is this okay to be taking all of this diabetes medicine together? (26 Apr 2002)

31. My seven year old son goes to a rural school. The response time for the ambulance to get to his school is 15-20 minutes, and the township trustees won't agree to call a closer paramedic unit. What do you think? (26 Apr 2002)

32. I am 39, need to lose weight and have a family history of type 1 diabetes. For the past year, I have checked blood sugars with a meter and found them to be somewhat elevated. If I restrict my calories very strictly, would it be possible my body will produce insulin to bring my blood sugar within the normal range? How long could that take? (26 Apr 2002)

33. My three year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about two weeks ago, and at the hospital, while they know what is wrong with her, they don't why her blood sugar goes up, then down. Do you have any idea why this is happening? (26 Apr 2002)

34. Three weeks ago, my 13 year old daughter had very high blood sugars, and now they are very low even without insulin. Her doctors think either that all of the insulin when she was high "pooled" or that my daughter is giving herself increased doses of insulin. Have you any experience with high/low's of this nature? Is there something that is being missed here? (26 Apr 2002)

35. My seven year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 15 months ago, claims that her legs have "pressure". When I asked her to describe this she said they feel heavy and ache. She also has been getting a lot of headaches. Are these symptom related to her diabetes? (26 Apr 2002)

36. Until recently, our three and a half year old son would experience a low blood sugar maybe once or twice a week, but beginning three weeks ago, he began experiencing lows at an unusual rate. What reasons are there for sudden, persistent, increased sensitivity to insulin? (26 Apr 2002)

37. What is the appropriate dose of glucagon to be administered to an 80 pound child? Half of the vial, then repeat in 20 minutes if needed or full vial? (26 Apr 2002)

38. My 11 year old daughter has had a problem getting her sugars under control since was diagnosis. They are consistently high no matter how we count carbs or withhold sugar. She is supposed to have a certain amount of carb for proper growth and at her age (she will be 12 in three months), and I worry about anorexia. (26 Apr 2002)

39. I know that mothers who have babies in excess of nine pounds are considered to be a greater risk of diabetes later in life, but what causes this? Why do larger babies indicate or cause females to have diabetes? (26 Apr 2002)

40. My nine year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and while my insurance will pay for the strips, it does not for the meter. Can you tell me where I can get a free One Touch Ultra meter? (25 Apr 2002)

41. About four months ago, I had a fasting blood glucose of 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], and my doctor sent the results in the mail with bold red letters stating that it looked like I was on the way to developing type 2 diabetes. I read all information I could on type 2 diabetes and immediately took action so now my blood sugar is normal. If I diligently continue this lifestyle, is it safe to say I will never get type 2 diabetes? (25 Apr 2002)

42. I read about a test of a protein called SHBG that can be done early in pregnancy which may predict who will develop preeclampsia. They also stated that that obese and women with diabetes women are especially at risk and that SHBG protein is associated with insulin resistance. Will this test be useful for doctors to routinely order? (25 Apr 2002)

43. I'm 36 years old, I've had type 1 diabetes for 14 years, and lately, my hands have been very numb. Is this normal? (25 Apr 2002)

44. I am a soon-to-be 30 year old mother of five who, in the past year has had many problems that I feel are "sugar" related. What type of blood test should I ask for to determine diabetes? Do you feel I am looking in the right direction to find answers? (25 Apr 2002)

45. My 94 year old aunt was diagnosed with diabetes a little over a year ago, but now her doctors are telling her that she doesn't have diabetes anymore and doesn't need to test her blood sugar levels. Is it possible for type 2 diabetes to just "go away" in elderly individuals? (25 Apr 2002)

46. I am a 28 year old female who has had type 2 diabetes for three years, and I have been trying to maintain tight control with NPH and Humalog in order to become pregnant. but if I'm normal one to two hours after a meal, I will have lows later. Are these highs immediately after a meal dangerous for pregnancy? (25 Apr 2002)

47. My son started these symptoms of urinating at lot and occasional vomiting, without a doubt about a month or two ago. What do you think might be causing these problems? (25 Apr 2002)

48. Low carbohydrate diets seem to be all the rage for reducing insulin stimulation. How do you feel about a low carb diet for children with diabetes? Is it okay to give a low (or no) carb meal when blood glucose is high instead of an extra insulin jab? (25 Apr 2002)

49. I have been on NPH and Regular insulin for 12 years, I am very well controlled, and I visit the doctor three times a year for the routine blood work and review of my insulins. How comparable is one insulin brand to another? Is is safe to change insulin brands? (25 Apr 2002)

50. I have read several reports that suggest that gluten may have a possible role in the induction of thyroid and pancreatic antibodies, and when the patients are placed on a gluten-free diet, the autoantibodies disappear. If further studies conclude what these initial findings, I suspect diabetes could possibly be avoided in certain cases. Is further research being done on this front? (25 Apr 2002)

51. In the recent movie, Panic Room, Jodie Foster's movie daughter wears a non-invasive blood-glucose testing device, similar to, but smaller and better looking than the Cygnus Glucowatch Biographer. Does this device exist or is it part of the film-maker's imagination? If it does, can you provide me with the name of the manufacturer? (25 Apr 2002)

52. My two year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I have read several articles regarding new insulin delivery methods as well as islet transplants which I know are still in trial. When can we expect to see one or more of these new insulin delivery modalities in main-stream medicine? (25 Apr 2002)

53. My two and half year old year old niece is fat, never seems to be full and wish to stop eating, and worse yet, her parents give her sweets to "calm her down". All four grandparents have diabetes, and we want the mother to be concerned and alter the child's eating habits, but she thinks we are foolish. What is your opinion of this child developing diabetes? (23 Apr 2002)

54. My 17 year old daughter went on the pill, and eight weeks later she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Searching the Web, I've found six to eight references to birth control pills increasing the risk of diabetes, but I can't locate anything definitive. Of course, we're also wondering if stopping the pill might reverse the problem. (23 Apr 2002)

55. For the past year, I have been having some very strange lows. I don't get any indication that my blood is low and become somewhat violent, cry, scream, and refuse to eat or cooperate with my husband in any way. I don't remember hardly anything of what happens in these "spells. Is this common? What can be done to get me to cooperate? (23 Apr 2002)

56. My husband (5 feet 10 inches tall, 250 pounds) was told last week by his doctor that his sugar level was 161 mg/dl [8.9mmol/L], but I don't know how many grams of sugar or how many carbohydrates is an acceptable daily intake. He's starting a 2000 calorie diet, but I also want to watch sugars and carbs. Any info would be helpful. (23 Apr 2002)

57. We used to keep good control of my 10 year old daughter's diet and planned meals carefully, but it seems now that she is older, we have not kept this up. What is the calorie count/carbohydrate count for a 75 pound 10 year old girl? (23 Apr 2002)

58. My three year old daughter's (diagnosed two months ago) blood sugars are out of control, and her endocrinologist will not allow me to adjust her insulin. Is there any reason not to adjust her dosage if she's so out of control? Isn't adjusting the insulin dosage the best way to care for her? (23 Apr 2002)

59. My 17 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 11, was switched to Lantus with Humalog because the flexibility. However, after several weeks on this new insulin, he seemed to develop severe side effects. (23 Apr 2002)

60. My husband takes Glucophage and Actos and works the evening shift. His blood sugar when he gets in from work is okay, but by morning it is high. Can you tell me why his blood sugars are going up while he is sleeping? (23 Apr 2002)

61. Our 11 year old daughter is on Lantus with Humalog before meals, and her morning readings are consistently 300-400 mg/dl [16.7-22.2mmol/L] even though we try to put her to bed with a blood sugar under 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Any suggestions? (23 Apr 2002)

62. For 20 years, I have been taking the Regular and NPH individually and in combination depending on when they are taken, and I have had pretty good success with these two insulins but also had some problems. I am trying to get equations for the responses of the different types of insulin I take. (23 Apr 2002)

63. We have a family history of diabetes, and our almost five year old daughter gets infections easily, she drinks all the time, and she urinates a lot, but her doctor did not offer to test her for diabetes. Do all children have a very serious crisis before being diagnosed? (21 Apr 2002)

64. I have newly diagnosed diabetes and am searching for the following information about food and exercise. (21 Apr 2002)

65. My fiancee, who has had type 1 diabetes for about 15 years, keeps candy around and even fudge to eat when sugar is low, and if he does not control his sugar, he reacts to his reading which seems like a very bad practice to me. Is this an okay practice? (21 Apr 2002)

66. I had glucose intolerance when I was pregnant with my first child, and now I am scared to death that I still have glucose intolerance and worry about developing diabetes. Could there have been a mistake? Is this something that I will have in future pregnancies? (21 Apr 2002)

67. I want to offer the latest and best diabetes management for to my patients, and a colleague recently informed me that the latest recommendation for blood sugar checks for patients on insulin is before breakfast and two hours after the evening meal, but I hadn't heard of this. Is this true? (21 Apr 2002)

68. My 17 year old daughter has had diabetes since early infancy, and also has acanthosis nigricans along with veins that are hard to get blood out of, and she is not prone towards ketosis. Is this due to insulin resistance since insulin is a vasodilator? Has it been determined that there is no insulin resistance involved in the etiology and continuance of juvenile diabetes? (21 Apr 2002)

69. I am 32 years old, I am 29 weeks into my second pregnancy, and I had a three-hour GTT which was normal, but the values were slightly high. I have several questions. (21 Apr 2002)

70. My doctor suddenly decided to put me on a strict diet at 28 weeks into my pregnancy because my one-hour glucose test was high but the three-hour test was normal. Am I at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes after pregnancy? How will this affect the baby? (21 Apr 2002)

71. My real concern right now is I have noticed my teeth breaking apart for about a year and a half now. Does this have anything to do with my diabetes? What can I do to stop this? (21 Apr 2002)

72. Today, my daughter had a TSH of 122, was told she has thyroid problems, and they started her on medication. She also has had some problems with possible diabetes. We have been testing her numbers for a month or more, and some tend to be high, but some of her antibodies have been normal. Could her diabetes go away when her thyroid is under control? (21 Apr 2002)

73. I would like to know more about the A1c test. What is it? What does it test for? How does it differ from the glucose tolerance test? Is the A1c test considered to be the "final authority" on determining if one has diabetes or not? (21 Apr 2002)

74. I am a 16 year old with type 1 diabetes, and I have a 17 year old sister who is often lethargic, has a height of 5 feet 8 inches, weighs 195 pounds, and rarely exercises. What are the chances of her getting diabetes? (20 Apr 2002)

75. I am 39 years, have type 2 diabetes treated with diet and exercise, I have been taking a diuretic for the last four days because of Meniere's syndrome, and I have several questions. (20 Apr 2002)

76. I just read Dr. Bernstein's book in which he says he has had diabetes for 60 years with no side effects. I am on his diet now, my sugars have been great, and I had to cut my insulin down to 5 units a meal from 40. I am also losing weight, but is this really healthy? (20 Apr 2002)

77. In the past six months, my son has had two reactions which were very different from any that he has had in the past. He seized both times, needed glucagon, and took a long time to respond. We have completely changed his nighttime NPH dose, but we still are anxious about this happening again. What could explain this change in severity? (20 Apr 2002)

78. My two week old has extremely wet diapers and often pees again while I am changing him, breast feeds every three to four hours, and has scalding to his bottom. I had a borderline glucose while pregnant with him and we have a family history of diabetes. Is it possible for a newborn to have diabetes? If so, how do I convince his doctor to test for it? (20 Apr 2002)

79. My eight year old son complains about his stomach quite often, and recently he has been complaining about his feet either burning or itching. I know that this occurs in older people with diabetes, and I have read that the number of children with type 2 diabetes is on the rise, so we are going to have him tested. (20 Apr 2002)

80. My 56 year old mother tests herself sometimes with higher than normal results. Her mother has just passed away from kidney failure due to type 2 diabetes, and three of my mother's siblings also have it. What are the chances of it being passed down to my mother and me? (20 Apr 2002)

81. I am a 16 year old who has type 1 diabetes. What are the possible treatments for type 1 diabetes currently? How effective are they? (20 Apr 2002)

82. My daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for four and a half years, has had chronic diarrhea. Also, she weighs only 34 pounds and has extremely poor growth. All her tests so far are negative. Is it possible she could have some lower intestine damage from diabetes? (20 Apr 2002)

83. My 13 year old son was diagnosed five years ago, and his specialist tells me that his body could be rejecting the insulin. Could you please tell me why? (20 Apr 2002)

84. My 13 year old son was diagnosed five years ago and has never had a hypo. Do you come across this often? (18 Apr 2002)

85. My four year old stepson has had diabetes for a year and is currently getting injections at breakfast and at supper. Are there long-term side effects from excessive insulin use? (18 Apr 2002)

86. My four year old stepson has had diabetes for a year and is currently getting injections at breakfast and at supper. Is there any danger in increasing the amount of insulin in order to account for more sugars in his diet? Are there long-term side effects from excessive insulin use? (18 Apr 2002)

87. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and as a result I have to have frequent blood tests. The problem is that the nurse is having a great deal of difficulty getting at my veins in the arm. She failed twice and I had to go to the hospital for testing where they had difficulty too. Is this common? Is it a sign of some other problem? (18 Apr 2002)

88. I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I'm informed that I should be entering my honeymoon phase anytime now, but personally, I do not like the whole idea of the honeymoon phase. Is there any way to expedite the killing of my beta cells to shorten this phase? (18 Apr 2002)

89. A middle-aged co-worker was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and she said that she is not allowed to use Pam cooking spray or eat garlic because it will affect her diabetes. I had gestational diabetes last year and never heard of this. Any truth to this? (18 Apr 2002)

90. I am an overweight 49 year old female. I do occasionally have some of the classic symptoms, and my sister and mother have diabetes. They hound me constantly, but I do not have any type of insurance or money to go through any expensive tests or doctor visits unless I am very sick. Is there any type of testing that can be done at home? (18 Apr 2002)

91. My son will be starting kindergarten this fall. I have met with the school staff to let them know that he is a special needs child, and I was told that, if he had a severe low, they would not administer his glucagon. Is this legal? I'm afraid to let him go to school now. (18 Apr 2002)

92. My daughter is having a problem with school. Her grades are As and Bs, but the school seems to think she is under stress with the work and that her diabetes is a major part of it. We don't want to hold her back, but we are afraid the school may want to. Please let me know what your point of view is about this. (18 Apr 2002)

93. I am currently treated with glyburide, and about four days ago, my lower legs started itching an awful lot, anywhere from my ankle to my calf. It can drive my crazy at times, but it does come and go. What is causing the itching? Can you give me some advice on how to relieve it? (18 Apr 2002)

94. I am heading off to college far from home, so I am concerned about living in the dorms with my diabetes and all the supplies I will need. What is your suggestion? Should I request a single room? I do not want to disturb a roommate with my having to get up during the night. (17 Apr 2002)

95. My meter readings have been slightly high. I told my doctor who said that it was nothing to be concerned about, but I thought that a fasting reading of over 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] on two readings meant that you had diabetes. Please enlighten me. (17 Apr 2002)

96. My best friend (a 17year old female) has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I'm curious about the psychosocial issues and how best I can help her out. (17 Apr 2002)

97. Have you ever heard about the "Schwarzbein Principal" Diet? (17 Apr 2002)

98. I am a 45 years old, and I have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years now treated with three diabetes medications as well as insulin. I also take pills for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My problem is that I am overweight and very tired all the time. What can I do to decrease the exhaustion level so that I can increase my activity level to help me lose weight? (17 Apr 2002)

99. My three and a half year old son has had diabetes for about two and a half years. When must he have an eye test? Must we do the A1c test every three to four months ? (17 Apr 2002)

100. From what age can you identify diabetes in children? If I suspect my three year old has diabetes, are the tests 100% reliable? (17 Apr 2002)

101. My blood glucose readings stay around 84-97 mg/dl [4.7-5.4 mmol/L], but I started a new job about two weeks ago, I am tired, I am not exercising as much as before, and lately they have gone up to about 102-113 mg/dl [5.6-6.3 mmol/L], which, for me, is high, and I am concerned about my numbers. What could be causing the increase? What can I do? (17 Apr 2002)

102. About 11 months ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I went to my doctor and had an elevated blood sugar, but I was not told to fast before taking the finger test. Is that the proper way to take the test? (17 Apr 2002)

103. I'm wondering if my son may have reactive hypoglycemia. He is a gifted athlete and used to have seemingly unending energy, but for the past few months he seems to often get very tired and not have muscle strength even though I make sure he eats. Is there a simple, easy way I can try to determine this? If he does have it, what can we do about it? (17 Apr 2002)

104. I am interested in finding out about Dr. Usala's work on a cure for type 1 diabetes. (16 Apr 2002)

105. My nine year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for eight months, and her last cholesterol levels were to be 203 and 204 mg/dl. Her father's side of the family has high cholesterol, but her doctor seems to have a wait and see approach to this. Is this cholesterol level dangerous? Is it ever appropriate for children to take medication for high cholesterol? (16 Apr 2002)

106. My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, just started playing baseball again and we are being told that he cannot wear his medical ID bracelet during games. Is this legal? I need a source to help me with this. During games he is most likely to need the ID because he is highly active. Any suggestions? (16 Apr 2002)

107. I had half an Ecstasy pill for the first time. Half an hour later, I had a mini heart attack/seizure kind of thing, and since then my blood glucose level has been extremely high for no reason. Could this be related to Ecstasy? Could the heart problem also be related to Ecstasy? (16 Apr 2002)

108. My four year old son has been toilet trained for over a year, but recently his blood sugars have been too high, so he needs to urinate frequently and has started to urinate in any convenient receptacle in the home, including on his own toys. Is this normal behavior? How should I proceed with discipline and understanding this? (16 Apr 2002)

109. Can someone who has diabetes use honey as a sweetener since it is natural? (16 Apr 2002)

110. My 46 year old husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four weeks ago, and his mother also has it. What are the chances our 19 year old son will develop this disease? (16 Apr 2002)

111. My 46 year old husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four weeks ago. What is the normal recommended carbohydrate intake for an adult male? (16 Apr 2002)

112. I am on pills for my diabetes, and in the morning I wake up with a normal blood sugar, but by about three hours after breakfast, if I don't eat I get light headed, and I get the same feeling around 5:00-5:30 pm. I'm real good about not eating sweets, but lately, around 11:00 am, I have been eating a couple of peppermint candies which seems to help. Am I fooling myself? (16 Apr 2002)

113. My 16 month old daughter has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. How common is it to have diabetes so young? Is the long term prognosis any different for her than someone who is diagnosed when they are older? Is there much knowledge of the treatment and effects of diabetes at such a young age? (16 Apr 2002)

114. Both my four year old son and I have type 1 diabetes in tight control, and I work so hard to do everything I can to keep good glucose control without the lows, but both my grandmothers had type 2 and developed complications. What role does family history play in developing complications? (16 Apr 2002)

115. My 14 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a week ago, and I am trying to find some very basic information since we are very new at this. (16 Apr 2002)

116. My seven year old son was diagnosed 10 months ago, and some time ago, I heard that dogs can be trained to recognise hypos in children mainly at night. Are you familiar with this? If yes, where can I read about it? (14 Apr 2002)

117. I have heard about the benefits of ACE inhibitors, but had the impression that you would not give them to children, and in your poll discussion, children aren't mentioned. What have you heard about when kids should go on these drugs? (14 Apr 2002)

118. I have been on the pump for six months now, but even though my A1c went from 11.2 to 8.3% in six months, I am having trouble getting my sugars down, and with weight gain. I have increased my both my basal rates and my boluses with no change. (14 Apr 2002)

119. My son has been told he has type 1, but his doctor thinks he may have type 2 and said to stay on the insulin for now. However, he drops too low a lot and feels bad even when his sugar is normal. His antibody tests were significant for thyroid disease but not diabetes. Is there a specific antibody that shows the pancreas was attacked? (14 Apr 2002)

120. My daughter's A1c is 5.8%, but her numbers aren't really great. I also asked to have her thyroid tested, and her TSH was a little high. Her doctor is happy with her A1c and wants to wait three months to recheck her TSH, but my gut tells me something is off. (14 Apr 2002)

121. My seven year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago and treated with twice daily Protaphane with Actrapid, is getting bored with the snacks I am giving him. I have run out of ideas, and I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints for snacks for my seven year old. (14 Apr 2002)

122. I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I also developed slight depression upon learning about this disease, along with a sinus infection and the onset of menopause setting in. I am on a diabetes pill, medication for depression and hormone replacement therapy. With all that said, I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel physically, much less mentally. How is all of this affecting my blood glucose levels? (14 Apr 2002)

123. I am 27 years old, I had gestational diabetes about six years ago, but my diabetes did not go away, I now have type 2 diabetes, and when I am pregnant, I take two insulin shots a day. Am I then considered to have type 1 diabetes? (14 Apr 2002)

124. I am currently pregnant, also have depression, and I know that pregnancy can cause mood swings, but when I am not pregnant and my sugars are high, my fiance cannot stand to be around me, and I can barely stand being around myself. Can diabetes cause mood swings? (14 Apr 2002)

125. My daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 19 months, has an A1c of 6.3%. However, her endocrinologist advised that this is too tight. If 6.3% is normal, then why would she be at risk for this? (13 Apr 2002)

126. Recently, my mother, who has had diabetes for over 20 years, has been very sick, and average blood sugar levels have been very high. She is to go back to her doctor in a week, but should we be concerned about the high blood sugars? (13 Apr 2002)

127. My mother in-law, who has diabetes and takes insulin, has recently been suffering from sickness with dramatic weight loss and is very concerned. Her doctor suspects a hiatus hernia but is not 100% sure. Could you advise of any other possible reasons for this? (13 Apr 2002)

128. My 12 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for three years and has been on an insulin pump for the last 15 months, has an A1c of 7.8%. I feel her basal rate is extremely high, and I need to increase it because she is running very high at night. Do these basal rates seem outrageous for a 12 year old? (13 Apr 2002)

129. My eight week old granddaughter has been diagnosed with this disease, and I was told that this is not common at such a early age. Is this something that will stick with her all her life or will she grow out of it? (13 Apr 2002)

130. I am about to turn 18 and leave my home. How am I going to pay for my diabetes while paying for school, apartment, bills, etc.? (13 Apr 2002)

131. About two and a half years ago, while living in Alaska, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I moved to the UK in the last six months, and my eyes are constantly watering. Can anyone tell me why my eyes are constantly watering? What can I do to stop this? (13 Apr 2002)

132. Lately, my 70 year old grandma, who has had type 2 diabetes for about 20 years, has been complaining about stomach pain, so she went to the doctor who said it was due to her diabetes and that she should take Tylenol. To me this seems like a strange diagnosis, and I would like a second opinion. What are your thoughts? (13 Apr 2002)

133. Is there a form of diabetes that affects only children and will gradually decrease or become non-existent as their age increases? It would be something similar to gestational diabetes in women. (13 Apr 2002)

134. I just learned (and I do not hope this is true) that McDonald's and Burger King may sugar coat their french fries. If they do, why didn't my doctor and nurses know about this? Why don't they McDonald's and Burger King tell anyone? (13 Apr 2002)

135. My mother, who has type 2 diabetes and had cardiac bypass surgery two years ago always has high blood sugars, but she says that she is feeling fine and does not follow a strict diet when it comes to sugar. What are the risks in her case? What should she do to minimize them? Will diabetes keep posing a problem for her even after undergoing bypass surgery? (13 Apr 2002)

136. I was diagnosed with diabetes a little over four years ago, and while I have always tried to eat well, I had a hard time with sticking to the diet that the dietitian gave me and went to bed on more than on occasion crying because I was starving. My most recent A1c was 7%, and my cholesterol is 152 mg/dl. Is there a diet that can help me and keep me from starving? (12 Apr 2002)

137. Is there any connection between diabetes and ADD? Could the attention deficit be caused by high blood sugar levels? (12 Apr 2002)

138. For a week, I have been having stomach pains, back pains and constipation, my levels are higher than usual, and even with medication are not going down as fast as they usually do. What might be causing this? Are my levels high like this because of my pain or vice-versa? What can I do to correct this problem? (12 Apr 2002)

139. My 39 year old friend has diabetes, and I would like to find our more about the implantable pump that will regulate insulin intake. (12 Apr 2002)

140. Although I have good control of my diabetes (HbA1c averages around 7%), I do become hypoglycemic about once per week. Are these hypoglycemic episodes causing brain damage? If I had the choice, wouldn't it be better to risk all of the other complications from high blood sugar rather than lose my mind? (12 Apr 2002)

141. Last week, we took my daughter to the ER after battling chronically low numbers for about four days. The doctor spoke of insulinoma, or absorption problem. Do insulinomas occur in a person with diabetes? Can you tell me what type of digestive disorders they may be testing her for? Are there any other possibilities, such as thyroid problems? (12 Apr 2002)

142. My uncle, who lives in India and is suffering from diabetes, wants to test his sugar regularly, and I want to purchase a meter for him, if available on the open market. Can you please suggest a good meter? (12 Apr 2002)

143. My 51 year old husband, who has had type 2 diabetes for about 15 years, suffers from erectile dysfunction due to nerve damage, and Viagra does not work. He is using the pump, but it does not seem to keep the erection any more, and I feel really badly for him. Is there anything that can help when erectile dysfunction is caused by nerve damage not blood flow? (12 Apr 2002)

144. I developed very severe reactive hypoglycemia. Although my fasting blood sugar is perfect, as soon as I experience anything that will elevate my blood sugar, whether it be simple carbohydrates, or stress, I get an immediate high followed promptly by a horrible low. Will I ever be able to rid myself of this? Will I have to eat this way for the rest of my life? (12 Apr 2002)

145. I am planning on going to Australia in the Fall for approximately a year, and I am concerned about the availability and cost of insulin. Are U-100 Lispro (Humalog) and Insulatard available? In Australia, I am assuming I would not be entitled to free prescriptions and would like to know how much I would expect to pay for my insulin. (11 Apr 2002)

146. I sweat a lot more than people I know, and I read that this might have something to do with my hypoglycemia. (11 Apr 2002)

147. A few weeks back, my son had a severe hypoglycemic episode at night. Since we cannot pinpoint what lead up to this episode, I'm so afraid it will happen again. How often do these type of things happen without good explanation? (11 Apr 2002)

148. Two weeks ago I had my pancreas, spleen, duodenum and part of my stomach removed, yet I was sent home without too much information. I am currently using a pen with Toronto (Regular) and NPH and I have a blood glucose meter, but I need to know whether I am just supposed to do my sugars four times a day or if I need to be doing more. Although I realize it has only been two weeks, my blood sugars are very sporadic, ranging from 2.1 mmol/L [38 mg/dl] to HI. (11 Apr 2002)

149. I am a 44 year old who has had type 2 diabetes for six years, and I also have thalassemia minor diagnosed at age 11. Are my A1c lab values valid considering the decreased life span of my red blood cells? (11 Apr 2002)

150. I am a 32 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and I have been on a pump for four years. I'm trying to track all of my carbs and my basals, but it seems like the basals need to be much lower during the week I get my period than the weeks prior to and following it. Are there some general guidelines for basals rates during the four weeks of a menstrual cycle? (11 Apr 2002)

151. I erroneously gave myself too much insulin before bed a few nights ago and awoke to find my significant other checking my blood sugar, and only until I was drinking my second glass of juice do I remember anything. If my significant other hadn't been there, what would have happened? (11 Apr 2002)

152. My mother had a GTT, and her values seem low to me, bur her doctor said she has pre-diabetes. Can you tell me what the normal range would be? Whay does her doctor mean by "pre-diabetes"? (11 Apr 2002)

153. Is there any anecdotal or scientific evidence that children who suffer from migraine-like episodes are more prone to type 1 or other insulin related disorders? (11 Apr 2002)

154. Within a half hour of each dose of erythromycin, I suffer from very low blood sugar, worse than normal. Have you found out any information about this? (11 Apr 2002)

155. What is the justification for putting a six year old, recently diagnosed child on a low fat diet? (9 Apr 2002)

156. Our 15 year old daughter, who is on Lantus and Humalog, is leaving for a week in Hawaii with a friend's family. The Humalog is not a problem, but how should she handle the Lantus in flying from Cleveland west to Hawaii? (9 Apr 2002)

157. I am working with an 18 year old, living in a group home, who has had type 1 diabetes for several years. I am looking for a support group for youths around her age in the area and have found some difficulty. Is there a specific web site that addresses local support groups? (9 Apr 2002)

158. What percentage of the population of people with diabetes gets severe DKA every year? What is the mortality rate of these patients? (9 Apr 2002)

159. My father's idea of taking care of his diabetes is simply taking his pills and checking his blood sugar. He is faithful about those two things only, and now his blood sugar is higher than what it has been. I would like to help him with carb counting, if he will listen. How much carb for him? Can you help us? (9 Apr 2002)

160. I am researching information about eight year old twins, who have had type 1diabetes from an early age. They need to eat all the time and tend to steal food. Do children with diabetes need to be eating constantly? Is there some other message they are giving to those who care for them? (9 Apr 2002)

161. My 49 year old friend has type 2 diabetes with severe peripheral neuropathy, and I would like to assist in obtaining any information about the intrathecal drug delivery system for insulin being offered to her. Where can I find information about this? (9 Apr 2002)

162. I am 25 years old, I have a bachelor's degree in mass communications and public relations, and I've come to realize that diabetes is my life, and I think there is a reason that I have it -- to help others! So, I've been contemplating the idea of going back to school, working on a nursing degree and eventually becoming a diabetes educator. Are there any grants or scholarships? (9 Apr 2002)

163. I have an 11 year old student, diagnosed with diabetes two years ago, whose family cannot afford health care, and this child is suffering. This is as financial hardship situation. Can you guide me to find health care and medication for her? (9 Apr 2002)

164. I have long term type 1 diabetes, and recently started pump therapy with Novolog, and my blood glucoses while on the pump are showing wide variations similar to the problem I had while on MDI (Lantus with Novolog). Prior to starting the "human" insulin, I had used "animal" insulin since diagnosis, and my endocrinologist believes that my "irregular" blood glucoses may be related to "insulin antibodies". (9 Apr 2002)

165. Lately, especially at night, my right leg seems to be restless. I just cannot relax after working all day. Lately, especially at night, my right leg seems to be restless. Is this the start of something I should be considered with? (9 Apr 2002)

166. I am 30 years old, and I have had a problem with uncontrollable sweating since my diagnosis of type 1 diabetes just over a year ago. I reluctantly mentioned this problem to my doctor once, but he did not think it was related to my diabetes. Is this related to my diabetes? Is there a medication I can take to stop the production of whatever is causing this? (8 Apr 2002)

167. My friends have a wee 21 month old boy who has been diagnosed with nesidioblastosis and is neutropenic. They have had a terrible time, he is on diazoxide and chlorothiazide, is covered from head to toe in hair, and is in hospital at least once a month as he catches every virus there is. They are talking to doctors about partial removal of the pancreas as he has recently started taking fits. Are they doing the right thing? What is the success rate of this operation? (8 Apr 2002)

168. I just found out my two year old daughter has diabetes. What are some low carb foods? (8 Apr 2002)

169. I just found out my two year old daughter has diabetes. Who are some good diabetes doctors in the South Dakota area? Would really like some input on this. (8 Apr 2002)

170. I am 25 years old, married, and, for the last 10 years, I have suffered from urine frequency. All the symptoms are like diabetes insipidus. They gave me both intranasal and oral desmopressin treatment. While I feel a temporary remedy, as soon as I leave medication, the disease again attacks me. (8 Apr 2002)

171. I was diagnosed with diabetes over eight years ago, and, thanks to a machine called the Biostator, I am still making some of my own insulin. What is the longest documented honeymoon period? (8 Apr 2002)

172. I am a 19 year old college student who has had type 1 diabetes for three years, and I went to a place in my town to give plasma, but they said I couldn't donate because I had diabetes. Do you have any information about this subject? (8 Apr 2002)

173. My six year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 11 months, has always had uncontrollable blood sugars (up and down), and two years ago he was diagnosed with ADHD, ADD, and mental disabilities. Is it normal for my son to have uncontrollable blood sugar levels? (8 Apr 2002)

174. I am the Health and Safety Officer for a long-term care nursing facility, and I am developing an ergonomics program. According to ergonomics injury prevention, diabetes is mentioned as a medical condition that could contribute to ergonomics injury for people who use computers on a daily basis. Could you please provide justification to that statement? (8 Apr 2002)

175. My son will be going to kindergarten in two years and will have to go the school which is 20 minutes from home. The other school is 10-15 minutes in the opposite direction with a hospital and his pediatrician five minutes away. Is there any way I can advocate for him to go the school closest to the hospital, pediatrician, and my home? (8 Apr 2002)

176. I am 12 years old. lately I have been thirsty, have had cotton mouth, have had to urinate a lot, and last night I wet the bed. Diabetes runs in my family so I'm very scared. If you can help me please write! (7 Apr 2002)

177. I just found out my two year old daughter has diabetes, and I am still struggling with trying to regulate her insulin. Why does my two year old's insulin need to be diluted with saline solution? (7 Apr 2002)

178. My six year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 11 months, has always had uncontrollable blood sugars (up and down), and two years ago he was diagnosed with ADHD, ADD, and mental disabilities. Would his high blood sugars affect his learning abilities in school? Is that where his ADD falls in? (7 Apr 2002)

179. At the elementary school where I work, we have a seven year old little girl who seems to run very high numbers and eats many concentrated sweets. We are concerned with the child's health and well-being, as well as our liability in this matter, but her mother seems to think that this situation is fine. Do you have any advice for us? (7 Apr 2002)

180. I am interested in finding out how menstruation affects blood sugar. My doctor said that people usually need more insulin during their period, but I tend to find that I need less. Why does this affect blood sugar readings at all? (7 Apr 2002)

181. I am on no medication at this time, and I have been noticing recently that my fasting sugars have been above normal but are in a much more manageable range later in the day. This is with paying close attention to my carb and sugar intake. It has been a little frustrating due to the fact that I am not overweight, but I am currently losing weight. Any tips? (7 Apr 2002)

182. My 16 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for five years, just joined a fitness center. She works out every day, has lost some weight, and is finding her blood sugars are in better control. We are wondering where body builders inject insulin, since you are not to inject in muscle. (7 Apr 2002)

183. A staff member's 13 year old who has been diagnosed with diabetes (I am not sure which type) is in the denial stage about her condition. She is embarrassed to take her insulin shots among her friends since there are no other children around her suffering from diabetes. Apart from taking her to a psychologist, what can the mother do for her child? (7 Apr 2002)

184. My five and a half year old son is having issues with lack of motivation at kindergarten, but before he was diagnosed, he never had this problem, and the teachers seem to think I shouldn't use diabetes as an "excuse". Is there some written information I could bring them to explain how the different sugars may affect motivation? (7 Apr 2002)

185. If my son was ever having a seizure, would his body be shaking or moving? If I ever have to use glucagon for my son, would he have to be held down? (7 Apr 2002)

186. My four year old girl was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago, and she frequently has lows and highs on a daily basis. She is on Humalog and NPH twice daily, and I would like to get her on a pump as soon as possible, but her doctor does not want to yet as she considers it controlled. Is this appropriate? (6 Apr 2002)

187. I am a 44 year old who has diabetes for 25 years. I really love to exercise, but the lows are turning me off. I feel like I am short of breath, and they drop so quickly! Any suggestions? (6 Apr 2002)

188. I've decided to research on children with diabetes for a staff member, and I'm seeing information about an insulin pump. I've searched but cannot find a definition for an insulin pump. What exactly is it? Does it replace the use of syringes? How large is it? Does it have to be prescribed by a physician or does a parent just go out and get one? (6 Apr 2002)

189. I am a 44 year old who has diabetes and has been on insulin three times daily for 25 years. What is your view on naturopathic medicine (supplements in addition to insulin) in diabetes? (6 Apr 2002)

190. I have just noticed that my eight year old daughter, who had type 1 diabetes for about 17 months, has a couple strands of black hairs under her arms. It's obvious to me she must be starting puberty. Isn't she too young for this to be happening? (6 Apr 2002)

191. I was diagnosed with diabetes approximately three years ago, and I have read some information about ketones. Is there any way of testing at home? (6 Apr 2002)

192. My brother called me today because he thought his girlfriend's sugar was low since she wouldn't get out of the bed. We tried getting some juice in her, and during this time she cursed him and fought him terribly. Please advise. (6 Apr 2002)

193. I was diagnosed with diabetes approximately three years ago, and for the last two days, my lower back has been nagging me. Could this mean that the diabetes is starting to affect my kidneys? (6 Apr 2002)

194. My five year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, is on a low carb diet and her blood glucose level is usually normal, but recently she got sick and even though her blood glucose was only somewhat elevated, we found small to moderate amount of ketones in her urine. Would it be normal for a person who is on a low carb diet or even not eating carbohydrates at all to have some ketones in his/her urine ? What could be the side effects of that? (6 Apr 2002)

195. Can you explain the differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? Can people with type 2 have insulin shock or DKA? (6 Apr 2002)

196. Can people with type 1 diabetes get a driver's license? (3 Apr 2002)

197. At the age of 18 months, my six year old son had viral meningitis. I plan to get him screened for diabetes. Has there been any connection between viral meningitis and diabetes? (3 Apr 2002)

198. My seven year old son has type 1 diabetes, and, as he is getting older, I would like to know the problems he will experience when he is at primary school. I'm referring to social problems like making friends. Is my son going to feel isolated? Different? Will he make friends? (3 Apr 2002)

199. I am in good health, but have many genetic factors that put me extremely high risk for getting type 2 diabetes, and I have read some information about Glucophage being used as a preventative, so I want my doctor to prescribe this for me. What do you think? (3 Apr 2002)

200. Are there any negative effects for someone with diabetes from donating blood or plasma? (3 Apr 2002)

201. My three and a half year old daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Is nicotinamide available in Canada? Can you request it from your doctor? (3 Apr 2002)

202. My three and a half year old daughter was in DKA a month ago and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She currently is on one shot of NPH in the morning, but she started on three injections. Would this be the honeymoon stage? (3 Apr 2002)

203. My three and a half year old daughter was in DKA a month ago and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At the time of diagnosis her blood sugar was 150 mmol/L [2700 mg/dl]. When she was in ICU, a doctor told me he had heard of a virus that caused your blood and sodium levels to skyrocket. Could something else cause your sugars to go high and low? (3 Apr 2002)

204. I was using the Novopen 3 up until recently, when I was notified by my pharmacist that they have stopped carrying the Penfill insulin cartridges that I need. I have just begun my search for a comparable or better product. Can you provide any advice? (3 Apr 2002)

205. Lantus is a wonderful basal insulin during the day, and I do not want to go back to NPH, Ultralente or another basal insulin, but the results during the day or night are not consistent. (3 Apr 2002)

206. My three and a half year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, and I'm constantly reading and looking for information on diabetes. (2 Apr 2002)

207. What new insulins are coming on the market? (2 Apr 2002)

208. I have recently heard that there has been a new pancreas hormone/enzyme. What is it? How does it work? (2 Apr 2002)

209. My son's C-peptide is within normal range and he tests negative to antibodies every time. For a while is doctor had him on pills, but after a time took him off the pills, and his now on Lantus with Humalog. Should we be requesting he be treated as someone with type 2 diabetes and have him on pills instead of insulin? (2 Apr 2002)

210. About a year ago, you talked about a product called DK50. Have there been any clinical trials to verify/support the claims of substantially dropping and maintaining glucose levels? (2 Apr 2002)

211. I was just diagnosed with diabetes, and got my test results to determine if I have type 1 or type 2. Do my results indicate I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? (2 Apr 2002)

212. My grandson has had the pump for about a year and a half, recently his sugar has been going high, and his parents have noticed there are tiny bubbles in the tube. Do you have any suggestions as what needs to be done? What could be causing the bubbles to be getting in the line? How is it prevented? (2 Apr 2002)

213. I am 22 year old female who stopped taking insulin injections for the past eight months on my doctor's advice, and recently my fasting blood glucose was normal, and my glycosylated haemoglobin was 9%. Is my sugar in control? (2 Apr 2002)

214. There was a previous question posted that spoke of a link between diabetes and congenital rubella. Has there been any study about a link between a pregnant woman receiving the MMR vaccine and her child developing type 1 diabetes at an early age? (2 Apr 2002)

215. My 13 year old son was diagnosed when he was 11, and when I read about diabetes they talk about turning the liver off so want to know how type 1 diabetes affects the liver. What do they mean? What would the end result of a worn out liver look like in diabetes? Can niacinamide hurt my son's liver in the long run? (2 Apr 2002)

216. A doctor told my 13 year old son, who was diagnosed when he was 11, that he didn't have to take his NPH insulin at night if his blood sugar was under 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L]. Then a CDE nurse said he should always take his night shot. She herself has is a diabetes and is very well informed. (1 Apr 2002)

217. My nine year old daughter, diagnosed two months ago, is in her honeymoon period, and although we have changed her insulin every eight days, she has seized twice and both those times she also lost consciousness, which is very scary. When she seizes and loses consciousness, what does it do to her physically and mentally? How long does the honeymoon period last? (1 Apr 2002)

218. Today, my 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. My husband has type 2 diabetes, and I really need some information on how to care for my daughter and how to explain to her what is going on with her body. I really worry about her. Her headaches are really bad, and the dizziness really scares me. How do I get her involved with her treatment? (1 Apr 2002)

219. My 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age four, is on Humalog three times a day and NPH twice, but we have never been able to get him regulated; he still has highs and lows. We feel his diet is good, and he seems healthy, happy and is active. However, his doctor thinks he could be better controlled. Can you comment on these readings and perhaps suggest what we may be doing wrong and ways we could improve? (1 Apr 2002)

220. I think it would be easier to cope with diabetes if needles weren't a part of it.Can you tell me what the near future holds to get rid of needles? Are there studies being done to test other ways to give insulin? (1 Apr 2002)

221. I am a transcriptionist looking for the spelling of an injection technique for newly diagnosed 18 year old. I have looked all over trying to find something and am coming up blank. It sounds like "ther-eumechanics'. (1 Apr 2002)

222. My six year old son has not been diagnosed with diabetes, but his father and grandfather both have type 1 diabetes, and I believe my son may have it too. I have noticed lately that he has been eating more than usual mainly trying to eat sweets, and he also wets his pants and bed. Do you believe type 1 diabetes is hereditary? (1 Apr 2002)

223. I have had diabetes for 17 years, and my issue is my wife who will persist on issuing lectures concerning low blood sugars and her actions when I have them or when I am angry. Is there any advice for me or literature on the subject of interaction during these times? (1 Apr 2002)

224. I am 46 years old, I have had diabetes since I was 18, and I take insulin. What procedure must I follow to be safe from diabetes complications? (1 Apr 2002)

225. My 38 year old brother-in-law has type 2 diabetes and will have to start insulin therapy if they don't get it under control. They are trying to find out how many carbohydrates he needs for his size and weight because his insurance won't cover a dietitian, and they can't afford one out of pocket. Can you tell us how many he needs? (1 Apr 2002)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts