From Pasadena, California, USA:

I am 46 years old, I have had diabetes since I was 18, and I take insulin. What procedure must I follow to be safe from diabetes complications?

The DCCT showed conclusively that the better glucose control you have, the less likelihood there is the you will develop complications. The current American Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Recommendations say that you should strive to keep your hemoglobin A1c less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab performing the test. So, if the upper in your lab is 7%, your target A1c would be less than 8%.

Posted to Complications and Daily Care