From Waseca, Minnesota, USA:

I have had diabetes for 17 years, and my issue is my wife who will persist on issuing lectures concerning low blood sugars and chase my daughters away from me telling them I am not thinking straight and to leave me alone when I am merely responding to a low blood sugar symptom. These actions often escalate into a much larger issue than need be. I have informed her on numerous occasions not to be confrontational during periods she thinks I may be experiencing lows for they make matters worse for everybody. Also, if I am angry, it is always assumed I have low blood sugar so my issue is dismissed, and I am told to get something to eat. I do not care for this type of reaction to my condition. Is there any advice for me or literature on the subject of interaction during these times?

Two issues come to mind. First, I hope you are working with your physician to prevent or minimize the lows. Second, it sounds as if there may be some built up anger regarding your diabetes. It would be reasonable to see a mental health professional who could see both of you to gain better understanding of the dynamics that take place.

Posted to Other Social Issues and Hypoglycemia