Question:

From Halifax, Canada:

My three and a half year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, and I'm constantly reading and looking for information on diabetes.

Answer:

You should be sure to join the Canadian Diabetes Association since you will get valuable information about current research and new treatments. You should also consider joining the American Diabetes Association since there is also excellent material that will come to you automatically in the mail every month including the Wizdom packet and Diabetes Forecast. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation also has Diabetes Countdown for research updates quarterly.

[Editor's comment: In addition to the resources Dr. Brink mentioned, our What's New has a lot of the latest available information. Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed.

I also think you might benefit greatly from visiting our Chat Rooms. Talking to other parent who "have been there" will help a lot in getting you through this stressful time.

Check out Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control and Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin. It is an excellent resource for parents. It provides exceptionally good and detailed advice for managing a child. The authors provide lots of "tricks of the trade" for dealing with meal planning, growth, and parental burnout. The section on toddlers is especially good. SS]

DTQ-20020202171443D