Question:

From Halifax, Canada:

My three and a half year old daughter was in DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] a month and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At the time of diagnosis her blood sugar was 150 mmol/L [2700 mg/dl] and her sodium was 198. when she was in ICU, the doctors said they had never seen someone with a sugar this high. One doctor told me he had heard of a virus that caused your blood and sodium levels to skyrocket, and the child did not have diabetes. Could something else cause your sugars to go high and low?

Answer:

The endocrine and diabetes folks at the Children's Hospital in Halifax are excellent so please ask them these questions. They can answer them in great detail and directly relate them to you and your child instead of just generalities.

DTQ-20020202171443B