From Gainesville, Florida, USA:

Are there any negative effects for someone with diabetes from donating blood or plasma?

This is a very commonly asked question. The consensus I have been able to obtain is that most blood donating agencies take a paternalistic view and discourage patients with chronic medical problems. I do not think it will hurt patients to donate intermittently but I think you will not be able to donate frequently, based on previously established guidelines.

[Editor's comment: The following is taken directly from the American Red Cross Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines:

Diabetes Accept two weeks after starting or changing the dosage of insulin. Those who since 1980, received an injection of bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom are not eligible to donate.