From Sydney, New South Wales, Australia:

My seven year old son has type 1 diabetes, and as he is getting older, I would like to know the problems he will experience when he is at primary school. I'm referring to social problems like making friends. Is my son going to feel isolated? Different? Will he make friends?

I see no reason why your son would not be able to develop wonderful friendships and do very well in school. He is a child first, with the normal goals and just fun that kids have, and he is someone with diabetes secondly. So be sure whatever he wants to do, he does it with the needed precautions for his diabetes. Do not just tell him he cannot do something because of the diabetes.

Posted to Other Social Issues