From Boulder, Colorado, USA:

My five and a half year old son, who is in kindergarten, is having issues with lack of motivation at school, but before he was diagnosed, he never had this problem, and the teachers seem to think I shouldn't use diabetes as an "excuse". Is there some written information I could bring them to explain how the different sugars may affect motivation?

I am afraid I do not quite understand what is going on here. Is it that this little guy does not seem motivated and as a parent, you are attributing it to the diabetes? I also do not quite understand how sugars affect motivation since I am not aware of that at all.

Perhaps it is best to consult your son's diabetes team, or just leave things alone for awhile and let a five year old be a five year old. Maybe in a month or so he can tell you he hates being a kid with diabetes, and you can talk to a social worker on his diabetes team about this.

Posted to School and Daycare