From Newcastle, United Kingdom:

I am interested in finding out how menstruation affects blood sugar. My doctor said that people usually need more insulin during their period, but I tend to find that I need less. Why does this affect blood sugar readings at all?

The levels of estrogen and progesterone will vary throughout your menstrual cycle which probably has some effect on how your body responds to insulin. Women on birth control pills sometimes need to increase their insulin dose because of these hormones in the pill. What is more important is that you are aware of the varying needs of insulin for yourself and adjust the dosing accordingly.

[Editor's comment: You will find the book, The Diabetic Woman by Lois, M.D. Jovanovic-Peterson, June Biermann (Contributor), Barbara Toohey (Contributor), to be helpful. SS]