From Watertown, South Dakota, USA:

I just found out my two year old daughter has diabetes, and I am still struggling with trying to regulate her insulin. Why does my two year old's insulin need to be diluted with saline solution?

When giving very small amounts of insulin, occasionally it has to be diluted to dose accurately.

[Editor's comment: I hope that you are not diluting your daughter's insulin with saline. It is true that you often have to use diluted insulin in children this age because children with diabetes, especially very young children, can be quite sensitive to the effects of even the smallest amount of insulin. However, it should only be diluted with the solution provided by the insulin manufacturer. Diluents and empty vials are free from insulin makers. While Lilly's Humalog does not have an official diluent, many people report success using Lilly's NPH diluent.

See a previous question on this topic. SS]