Question:

From Barstow, California, USA:

I am the Health and Safety Officer for a long-term care nursing facility, where I am developing an ergonomics program, and I need some clarification on information I am working with. According to ergonomics injury prevention, diabetes is mentioned as a medical condition that could contribute to ergonomics injury for people who use computers on a daily basis. Could you please provide justification to that statement about diabetes so I may incorporate into my training program?

Answer:

People who have had diabetes for many years, especially when it has not been optimally controlled do seem to be especially vulnerable to connective tissue disorders of the forearm and hand such as flexor tendon tenosynovitis. It is likely that these conditions would be exacerbated by repetitive use of a keyboard which is a well recognised source of ergonomic injury. See Rosenbloom AL, Silverstein JH. Connective tissue and joint disease in diabetes mellitus Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1996 Jun;25(2):473-83.

Additional comments from Delaine M. Wright, Clinical Exercise Physiologist:

The resource you read may be referring to the increased incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger fingers, frozen shoulder syndromes and related overuse injuries in persons with diabetes. Orthostatic hypotension relative to autonomic neuropathy may also be an issue if quick change in position is a part of the job.

DMW

Posted to Complications and Other