Question:

I am a 19 year old college student who has had type 1 diabetes for three years, and I went to a place in my town to give plasma, but they said I couldn't donate because I had diabetes. Do you have any information about this subject?

Answer:

I have asked several people responsible for overseeing policies in a blood bank. The consensus of the responses suggest that this is a general policy, not to take blood from people with diabetes, as well as other chronic diseases. I do not think donating intermittently would hurt, but they will not allow you to do this regularly.

[Editor's comment: The following is taken directly from the American Red Cross Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines:

Diabetes Accept two weeks after starting or changing the dosage of insulin. Those who since 1980, received an injection of bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom are not eligible to donate.
SS]