Question:

From Pakistan:

I am 25 years old, married, and, for the last 10 years, I have suffered from urine frequency. All the symptoms are like diabetes insipidus (polyuria, polydipsia) and vary day by day, but the urge to void is always there. No doctor could diagnose it, they say it is anxiety, and they gave me both intranasal and oral desmopressin treatment for two months. While I felt a temporary remedy, as soon as I leave the medication, the disease again attacks me. Tranquilizers also give a little help but not completely and constantly. I am weak, exhausted, and unable to do daily jobs. Please tell me what I am suffering from and what to do. I am about to commit suicide to get rid of that panic condition.

Answer:

I am hopeful that you do not resort to suicide for this problem. This format does not allow exact diagnosis. However, you need an evaluation by a specialist in medicine, either an endocrinologist or a nephrologist. You may indeed have Diabetes Insipidus. If desmopressin allows you relief, this is a suggestion that this may be part of the problem.

Have you had a water deprivation test? It is also important to note that there are different types of diabetes insipidus. You will need help in sorting them out. If you can get to an academic medical center, you may get a more interested audience. Can your primary care physician or a civic leader help you get the appropriate referral? I hope so. If not, let us know.

Posted to Diabetes Insipidus