From Watertown, South Dakota, USA:

I just found out my two year old daughter has diabetes. What are some low carb foods?

Please see our section on carbohydrate counting for information on low carbohydrate foods.

[Editor's comment: I'm not sure why you are asking this question. Whether you are asking it because you don't understand carb counting or your daughter is hungry after you have fed her what has been prescribed in her meal plan, it appears to me that you really need to meet with a dietitian who experienced in managing toddlers with diabetes.

These days, the best approach to diabetes management in toddlers is to use a basal/bolus insulin regimen and administer the bolus (using Humalog or Novolog) after a meal so it can be based on what the child has actually eaten. Please ask you daughter's doctor about such a program.

I think you will find the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin very useful in managing a two year old with diabetes. It is easy to read and chock-full of useful information. SS]