Question:

From Benicia, California, USA:

I have an 11 year old student, diagnosed with diabetes two years ago, whose family cannot afford health care, and this child is suffering. This is as financial hardship situation. Can you guide me to find health care and medication for her?

Answer:

Thank you for taking an interest in your student. No child needs to go without access to medical care. California has a program called Healthy Families which provides free or low cost health insurance for children of working adults. Even if the family would not normally qualify for the MediCal program or they are undocumented aliens, the children would be covered by Healthy Families. Program. Information is available in 11 different languages through a toll-free telephone number (1-888-747-1222), Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. For more information, please visit the Healthy Families website. If the parent refuses to obtain medical assistance for the child, then you must contact the child welfare authorities.

DSH

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

Contact local health department and/or hospital and talk with social services. The child may qualify for such assistance as Medicaid.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

The first step would be to try to enroll the child in MediCal and perhaps the California CHP (Child Health Program) for those that are a little above the poverty line. This would provide both care and supplies.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

I have a section of links on health care at the bottom of one of my Web pages. See the section headed "Financial Aid" at On-line Diabetes Resources.

RM