From Oregon, Illinois, USA:

My 69 year old dad, who has had type 2 diabetes for three years and is on a sulfonylurea, eats whatever he wants, and his idea of taking care of his diabetes is simply taking his pills and checking his blood sugar. He is faithful about those two things only and now his blood sugar is higher than what it has been. I would like to help him with carb counting, if he will listen. He is 6 feet tall, weighs 180 pounds, and is fairly active. He just has started finally to eat some fiber, drink water and take an extra walk, but so far that is it. How much carb for him? Can you help us?

I hope a trip to the doctor is in your dad's plans. It sounds like it may be time to adjust or add a medication to help with blood sugar control. Now is the time to seek the help of a dietitian. It really sounds like he has made some good strides toward more healthful eating which may be even more important that learning a diet system. At that time, you will perhaps be able to locate a dietitian who can visit with your father and help guide his food choices which may also include carbohydrate counting.

In the meantime, try to help him understand that there is no reason to struggle with high blood sugars alone, to keep active and keep on drinking water and eating fiber.