From Santa Barbara, California, USA:

I am a 32 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and I have been on a pump for four years. I'm trying to track all of my carbs and my basals, but it seems like the basals need to be much lower during the week I get my period than the weeks prior to and following it. Are there some general guidelines for basals rates during the four weeks of a menstrual cycle?

Depending on which insulin pump you use, some pumps can be programmed for an alternate schedule. You might be able to program a new basal rate program for the week during your menstrual cycle.

The usual pattern is more insulin resistance during the luteal phase of your cycle (the one to two weeks leading up to menstruation). However, if you have seen this pattern repeatedly, who's to argue with it. No specific suggestion. Just set a lower basal rate for that time.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care