Question:

From London, United Kingdom:

I am 25 years old, and I have had diabetes for nine years; I keep my condition well controlled. I am planning on going to Australia in the Fall for approximately a year (assuming I am granted the relevant visa), and I am concerned about the availability and cost of insulin. I am currently administering U-100 Lispro (Humalog) and Insulatard, and I know that in certain countries they use U-40. Is Australia included in that list? If it is, how are the dosages converted? I would like to know if there is a limit for the amount of insulin that can be exported into Australia, as in the UK I get free prescriptions. In Australia, I am assuming I would not be entitled to free prescriptions to treat my condition and would therefore like to know how much I would likely expect to pay for my insulin.

Obviously, in order to achieve good control you have to accept/expect the occasional hypo, and travelling to foreign lands can be stressful. Also, changes in climate and temperature can often affect the absorption rate of insulin causing hypoglycaemia.

Answer:

The cost of a 10 ml vial of U-100 Regular or NPH insulin in Australia should be around $US 11.00 with no difficulty over supplies. You may be entitled to free insulin and medical care, but you should check this with the Australian High Commission UK. You should also take supplies for about two months with you.

SS

[Editor's comment: It may be worthwhile for you to look at the Diabetes Australia website. SS]

Posted to Traveling