Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 51 year old husband, who has had type 2 diabetes for about 15 years, suffers from erectile dysfunction due to nerve damage, and Viagra does not work. He is using the pump, but it does not seem to keep the erection any more, and I feel really badly for him. Is there anything that can help when erectile dysfunction is caused by nerve damage not blood flow?

Answer:

I would recommend that your husband see a urologist. Just because he does not respond to Viagra does not mean that nothing else can be done. For instance, there are other agents which can help induce erections which should be tried. If no response is possible, he may be a candidate for a prosthesis. Treatment requires the help of a sensitive, knowledgeable physician with expertise in this area.