Question:

From the United Kingdom:

My uncle, who lives in India and is suffering from diabetes, wants to test his sugar regularly, and I want to purchase a meter for him, if available on the open market. Can you please suggest a good meter?

Answer:

You might first want to look at Blood glucose Meters which provides descriptions and reviews of most available blood glucose meters.

Of the recommended meters, I would choose either the FreeStyle, which is quite small, or the more sophisticated One Touch® Ultra. Both meters can use the almost painless forearm site.

It was not clear whether your uncle is going to be living permanently in India or just visiting. If it is the former, you are going to have to contact the meters' website to find out if the test strips are readily available there or whether you will need to keep him supplied.