From Sacramento, California, USA:

My 39 year old friend has diabetes, and I would like to find our more about the implantable pump that will regulate insulin intake.

Your friend should look up the Medtronic MiniMed 2007 Implantable Insulin Pump System. As far as I know, clinical trials for this model have started in Germany, but there are none yet in the US -- which means it will a while before it will be available for general use in the USA.

[Editor's comment: It also should be made clear that these devices do not measure blood sugar, and require the patient to measure the sugar and adjust the pump settings, as with the more usual external insulin pumps. WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Pumps