Question:

From Tampa, Florida, USA:

My 54 year old mother, who has type 2 diabetes and had cardiac bypass surgery two years ago, always has high blood sugars, but she says that she is feeling fine and does not follow a strict diet when it comes to sugar. I am so worried about her health, especially after my father's death of heart failure. What are the risks in her case? What should she do to minimize them? Will diabetes keep posing a problem for her even after undergoing another bypass surgery?

Answer:

Unfortunately, the answer to your last question is yes. Diabetes will continue to be a problem for her after her surgery. Heart-related problems are the most serious problems faced by patients with type 2 diabetes. Good glucose levels decrease the risk of the diabetes.

My word to you would be to insist she have good sugar control and do whatever it takes to initiate this, even if she needs insulin. Sometimes this means insisting people leave their comfort zone, in terms of lifestyle choices. Monitoring on a regular basis is part of the strategy. The blood sugar values will help her physician regulate her glucose levels to where they are supposed to be.

[Editor's comment: See Surgery Pre-Op Advice, at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2