Question:

From Kewaunee, Wisconsin, USA:

Lately, my 70 year old grandma, who has had type 2 diabetes for about 20 years, has been complaining about stomach pain, so she went to the doctor who said it was due to her diabetes and that she should take Tylenol. To me this seems like a strange diagnosis, and I would like a second opinion. What are your thoughts?

Answer:

You should get her to ask about trouble with gastric emptying. The nerves in the stomach may be affected and causing a delay in the emptying of the stomach leading to pain. Beyond that, the options are myriad in a 70 year old. This clearly needs more evaluation if it is persistent.

[Editor's comment: Of course, we realize we don't have a complete picture of what is going on, but Tylenol seems like a strange medication choice for this problem. It might be appropriate for your grandma to ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist for a proper evaluation if her physician is unsure of what is occurring. SS]

[Editor's comment: If your grandmother is on a diabetes pill called Glucophage [metformin], then this may be a medical emergency: your description could possibly something that could lead to lactic acidosis. (Some of the symptoms of lactic acidosis include: feeling very weak, tired or uncomfortable; unusual muscle pain, trouble breathing, unusual or unexpected stomach discomfort, feeling cold, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, or suddenly developing a slow or irregular heartbeat. If she has these symptoms, or if her medical condition has suddenly changed, she should stop taking Glucophage and call her doctor right away. Lactic acidosis is a medical emergency that must be treated in a hospital.) WWQ]

Posted to Complications and Pills for Diabetes