From Englewood, Colorado, USA:

I am 17 years old, but I am about to turn 18 and leave my home. How am I going to pay for my diabetes while paying for school, apartment, bills, etc.?

Your situation is so common among young folks. I hope you will be able to stay under your parent's health care until your health care at work starts, usually six months after you begin working. If you are going to college, their health plan may cover you, or in college, there are health care plans available for a very small amount of money, so I suggest you do that.

If you are not going to be covered with health care through your job or college, diabetes is a bold expensive disease, and I hope the local health department or hospital might be able to help you.

[Editor's comment: If you are going to be a full-time student, I believe you can continued to be covered by your parents' insurance. You'll need to check with the company to find out their rules.

I would also suggest that you set up an appointment with a medical social worker to discuss your problem. It is possible that you might qualify for Medicaid or other State-funded services. SS]

[Editor's comment: See Paying for diabetes expenses, Financial Help, Free Drugs, and previous questions on this topic. WWQ]