From Port Hadlock, Washington, USA:

My 12 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for three years and has been on an insulin pump for the last 15 months, has a hemoglobin A1c of 7.8%. I feel her basal rate is extremely high (1.7 units per hour at night and 1.6 units per hour during the day), and I need to increase it because she is running very high at night. Do these basal rates seem outrageous for a 12 year old?

Your daughter's dose will depend upon her insulin sensitivity and her weight. 1.6-1.7 units/hour is not unheard of for a pubertal teenager. Our experience is that teens usually get 50% of their total daily insulin through their basal rates and the other half through boluses.

If you are "needing" to bolus her overnight, then either she is going into the evening with blood sugars too high (as a result of bedtime highs or a misadjusted carb/insulin ratio at bedtime snack) or her basal rate needs to go up. Determining which is the case is a matter of looking at her patterns and profiles.

Posted to Insulin Pumps