Question:

From Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom:

My mother in-law, who has had diabetes for almost nine years and takes insulin, has recently been suffering from sickness with dramatic weight loss and is very concerned. Her doctor suspects a hiatus hernia but is not 100% sure. Could you advise of any other possible reasons for this?

Answer:

This is a very broad question with a symptom that could result from a number of disorders. Decreased nutrition is only one of the causes. Decreased nutrition can occur from poor eating, malabsorption, hyperthyroidism, another systemic disease, and poor glucose control. I would suggest you speak with her physician about a more comprehensive examination of the problem.