Question:

From Tullahoma, Tennessee, USA:

I am 27 years old. I had gestational diabetes about six years ago, but my diabetes did not go away, I now have type 2 diabetes, and when I am pregnant, I take two insulin shots a day. Am I then considered to have type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

I would like to clarify your diagnosis. You are considered to have typeá2 diabetes even though you take insulin during your pregnancy. You make insulin, but you do not make enough and also have resistance to the insulin that you produce.

There is a test to determine if you make insulin. Ask your doctor to do a C-peptide level. If you are not making insulin, then you would be considered to have typeá1 diabetes.

DTQ-20020326155505A