From Norcross, Georgia, USA:

My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, just started playing baseball again and we are being told that he cannot wear his medical ID bracelet during games. Is this legal? I need a source to help me with this. During games he is most likely to need the ID because he is highly active. Any suggestions?

You may wish to speak to the school board and school administrators for a better understanding as to why this policy is true in this situation. This is a common policy in many school systems, but you should be able to find a workable solution. If he is able to wear his medical ID during practice, and in travel to and from the games, then having it off during game play may not be as great an issue.

In addition and perhaps even more importantly, if your son's coaches and fellow team members are aware of his diabetes, and your son has access to his meter and a quick acting source of carbs (i.e., glucose tabs or gel) to treat a low, then you have addressed his safety. Medical ID bracelets are wonderful in situations where first responders may not know his medical history, but being part of a team where coaches, players, and support staff know about his diabetes and potential concerns should make you feel even more confident. Enjoy the baseball season!

[Editor's comment: You might try a different type of ID. See Medical Identification Products and Just 4 U Temporary Tattoos. SS]

Posted to Other Social Issues