From Sydney, New South Wales, Australia:

My best friend (a 17year old female) has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I'm curious about the psychosocial issues and how best I can help her out.

Your friend is so lucky to have a friend like you! The most important thing you can do is treat her in exactly the same way as you did before. Your friend has the same skills, charms, personality and interests as she did before she was diagnosed with diabetes; it's just that now her body does not make enough insulin.

Ask your friend to teach you about diabetes, and let her know that you are willing to participate in her care (if she wants you to) in any way you can.

Posted to Other Social Issues