My eight year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 15 months ago, is having a problem with school. Prior to having diabetes, she did great in school, even thought has had a speech problem since she started to talk because of ear problems. Her grades are As and Bs, but the school seems to think she is under stress with the work and that her diabetes is a major part of it.

My daughter has a great teacher who tutors her twice a week, and she loves it. I'm in close contact with the school nurse, and although my daughter does run high and low at school, there's really nothing major.

I am really torn and confused. My daughter already feels different, and I don't want to put something else on her. I only want to do what is best for her. We don't want to hold her back, but we are afraid the school may want to. Please let me know what your point of view is about this, and if know anyone else that has had to deal with this. They want to blame her diabetes!

I guess I do not understand the problem fully. I think As and Bs are great! Do the teachers feel your daughter should get all As and would be able to do so without the diabetes? That idea would probably give her more stress! Perhaps you need to bring this up with her diabetes team.

Posted to School and Daycare