Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

A middle-aged co-worker was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and she said that she is not allowed to use Pam cooking spray or eat garlic because it will affect her diabetes. I had gestational diabetes last year and never heard of this. Any truth to this?

Answer:

That's a new one on me also! I see no harm in using a non-stick cooking spray like Pam. In fact, it might help reduce fat content in some meals. Also garlic used in cooking or meals should not affect blood sugars negatively, on the contrary, garlic has been shown helpful in studies with regard to heart healthy cooking.

JMS